The Wildey Theatre originally opened in 1909 as an opera house. The building also contained a meeting hall for the Oddfellows organization. Just short of its 75th anniversary, the Wildey closed in March 1984. It was designated a local landmark in 1986, was acquired by the city in 1999, and finally reopened on April 12, 2011 after a large restoration effort. The Wildey currently features both cinema and live entertainment.
The Wildey is a prime example of how theater restoration is a viable option for historic theaters. Even though this theater sat empty for nearly 30 years, the return of this theater to Edwardville has been a success. By combining both cinema and live entertainment, the Wildey shows that it can still bring a packed house, entertaining those in the surrounding area for years yet to come.